[bmw] Cleaning Leather

    Cleaning the vinyl of my 96 328i with Vinylex, I just couldn't get the
worn in sweat stains off of the door pulls (where you grab the door to pull
it shut once you are in the car).  Took an old toothbrush, put a bit of
Vinylex in can, scrubbed them gently, and now they look pristine.

    Began looking at the leather, where the dirt/sweat/whatever, is worn
into the creases and began to speculate on what I could use to get the same
results on the leather.

    I have been using Lexol cleaner and conditioner (cleaner once a
year/conditioner quarterly), but the cleaner just doesn't really get out
that ground in stuff.  My neighbor has a beautiful Italian leather couch and
her take is, "Leather is tough.  It's animal hide.  You can't hurt it."  She
uses 409!!! to clean it then carefully rubs in Connolloy Hide Food for
preservation and softness.

    Not going to use 409 on my leather until I get some feedback from folks
on the list.

    Any other suggestions for really having a go at cleaning the BMW
leather?

    Many thanks,
    Bob G.