[bmw] radio/CD problem

The radio on my '90 E34 535i has gone funky on me. It acts like the head unit has gone bad; I replaced the Cd changer (trunk mount) but I stil get "Err" instead of a CD playing. Upon visual inspection, the two wire sets going into the back of the changer unit look good, but for some reason it won't play, which brings one question to mind: What the cheapest fix, assuming I want to stay with an OE radio unit?

Thanks for any input!

John Leipold