Re: [bmw] 318i wheels on a 528i?

"Robert A. Virzi" <bob.virzi@domain.elided> wrote:

> I've got a fairly new set of 16" alloy wheels with summer rubber
> purchased for a '97 318i.  I'm selling the 318i because it has been
> replaced with a '97 528i.  I'd love to move these wheels over to the
> fiver, especially since it has the standard 15" BMW alloys on it now.
>
> The bolt pattern appears to be the same.  How can I check if the
> offset is correct?

The offset SHOULD be marked somewhere on the wheels, usually near
the size and usually following the letters "et" -- e.g.: 16x7et32
would be a 32mm offset.

With that said, offsets for 3-series wheels are usually different
enough from the large sedans that they don't, in general, make
for a great swap.  The 528i most likely calls for a 20mm offset
and the 3-series wheels typically run with significantly more
offset.  This will mean that everything is pushed further in to
the wheel well, which with wide enough wheels can cause things
to hit or rub, especially at full steering lock.

Also, with the front suspension design of the 5-series, they
really do like to have the correct offset to maintain the proper
steering feel, etc.  Keeping to within 6-8mm of stock will
probably be OK as long as nothing hits or rubs.

You didn't ask, but the other question to consider is whether
the tires are the correct size.  I think that the 528i would
use 225/55/16 tires if you go to 16" wheels.  This is certainly
the case if it currently has either 205/65/15 or 225/60/15.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner