From: Doug Dykaar [mailto:dykaar@domain.elided]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 2:40 PM
To: bmw@domain.elided
Cc: "bokaie"
Subject: RE: 535 rear end noise

David,

You need to determine if the wheel bearing is bad, or if the CV joint is
bad. Once the rubber boot is torn, the grease leaks out, eventually
followed by the steel balls. A friend of mine backed his rabbit out of
the drive way and the rabbit pooped CV balls into the street.

A bad bearing will whine louder under load (don't we all), so turning
should increase the noise on the side with the suspect bearing. A
failing CV will make more noise under acceleration, i.e. greater load.

Removing your car from either the CV axle or the bearing will require a
manual, especially if you've never done it before.

Even though I have a fair amount of experience removing my car from
various bits, I have yet to do a rear wheel bearing.

If it is a CV, you may find it cheaper to replace the entire half shaft.

Finally, consider the other elements in the drive train, on my e28 535,
the drive shaft went south, and the rubber guibo has long since been
replaced.

YMMV,

-doug