Re: [bmw] another winter tire question

Shaaznabelle@domain.elided wrote:

> I'm buying a set of winter tires for my e30 daily driver from a co-worker.
> They are studded Cooper Weather Master S/T's. Can I run studded tires if
> there is no snow/ice on the road, or will I have to switch between these
> and the Nitto's when the roads are bare?

Generally, there are state laws (or lack thereof) that control studded
tires.  Some states say nothing about it (so you can run them in the summer
if you wish).  Other states only allow them during winter months.  Other
states ban them altogether.

I've never heard of an "only when snow is present" law, but that doesn't
mean it doesn't exist, however difficult it would be to enforce.

You need to check with the state(s) in which you are planning to drive.
Perhaps a call to a friendly local tire store will yield an answer.

I am pretty sure that most of the Northeastern states allow them at least
during the winter, if that helps.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner