[bmw] Re:

Kenneth

I was looking at a few of those cars myself and did read some stuff about the V8's. It has something to do with the difference between fuel in europe and the US. The engine wears out fast over time. BMW did replace some engines and if you check the web there is a method of determining if the engine is a problematic one or not. I was looking for a big german sedan. When I researched all the problems that the early model v8 7 series had I started looking at S Class Mercedes Benzes. While the Mercedes are a little more expensive they are rock solid especially when compared to the 7 of the same vintage. Slightly more spartan but the S Class of that vintage is known as one of the finest Mercedes of the 20th century.

Perhaps you might want a 1990 560SEL to "contrast" your 750il.

Robert Chase

Kenneth Carey wrote:

Hello all,

I am considering buying a 94 740il and would appreciate any tips to look for. This will be in addition to my current 90 750il which I enjoy considerably. Is it true that the V-8 had some factory problems early on? Also did BMW fix the climate control vent problem that was so prevelent on the earlier models? Any tips would be greatly appreciated and any.."What to look out for" advise would be invaluable. I know that if this group doesn't know about it.....it probably doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance,

Kenneth Carey