re: [bmw] Torque wrench

Chris Pawlowicz <cpawlowicz@domain.elided> wrote:

> 2 kinds of torque wrenches.. the cheapo ones come with a little indicator
> that points on a scale showing the torque (as the main shaft bends slightly)
> or the better/easier/nicer ones which cost ~$60 which are the 'click' type
>
> with the click type, you dial in a setting (like ~85 ft-lb for most bmw
> wheels) then tighten like any other ratchet type wrench until it gives way a
> little more when tightening and 'clicks' (they use a spring / ball/socket
> arrangement)
>
> a reasonable name brand click type torque wrench (sears craftsman come to
> mind as easy to get) is a great thing to have and use whenever you are
> putting wheels on and definitely mean your bolts are not overtightened or
> loose again
>
> you are supposed to get the wrench recalibrated every couple of years
> (manufacturer usually suggests a place to get it done)
>
> yes, get one, they are quick easy and accurate and very useful
>
> remember to turn them down to 0 when not in use (takes pressure off the
> spring and helps keep the wrench accurate) and don't use them to loosen the
> bolts (use a breaker bar/ ratchet to do that)

All good points.  The click type is definitely easier to use, but it's
more likely to go out of calibration.  One of the GGC guys hosted a
torque wrench calibration party a few months ago, where our Snap-On
rep demonstrated his mondo expensive calibrator.  Eleven of the
wrenches were the click type, and the 12th was a 40-year old "cheapo"
beam type.  The worst wrench tested was off by about 50%.  The most
accurate one was within about 2%; it was the beam type.  I'm not
saying a beam type is better; rather I'm reinforcing Chris's point
that regular calibration is important.

In the Imperial units used in the US, torque is given in pound-feet
(lb-ft); ft-lb is work.  Every other industrialized country on Earth
uses the SI units N-m.

Gary Beck <gpbeck@domain.elided> wrote:

> I believe all the 5 series cars use 19mm.

I think it's 19 mm for all four-bolt BMW wheels and 17 mm for all
five-bolt BMW wheels.  Any one know of an exception?

Curt Ingraham
72 2002tii, etc
Oakland, CA