[bmw] Re: headrests, blower motor 'resister pack" from 635csi

The headrest fix is easy, and there are a bunch of ways to fix it.

The problem is the cables that go between mechanism and motor. Usually you
can just cut out about 1/4 inch of the outer shield, or cable, and tape it back
together.  If you want to be more careful, you can put some rubber hose around
the cut out part, and put hose clamps on too, but don't crush it too hard.

Some of the 6 series, at least my M6 for example, may not have had resister
packs.

The 635csi may have had what the M6 had.  If the dash had settings for the
fan "1,2,3 and max" and each was a distinct setting, then, yeah, resistor pack.

If it was a variable speed fan, then, there is a transistor pack hidden under
the fan shielding, where the fan is.  The replacement was about $90 7 years
ago, I bet its more now.

But, it was pretty easy to unsolder the transistor (it was the only thing
that could realistically have "failed" on the board... and using the # on it, go
to a good electronics parts store and find a replacement, resolder a new one
back in.  The fix was about $5 all told... I coated it with some weather
repellant they had there...

Just another 02 cents worth

Alex Lipowich
91 Z1, 91 M5, 95 M3 Euro LTW