[bmw] <e28> clutch pedal return spring

After R&R on the clutch master, I discovered that I didn't get the clutch
pedal return spring back in properly. I made this discovery when the spring
assembly spontaneously disassembled and the pieces fell on my feet while I
was driving.

I broke the rod end that holds the assembly together. Without it, the pedal
feels about the same, although it doesn't quite return to to the full up
position.

The manual lists two types of spring, a generic return spring, and the
monster machine-spring assembly that I have (had).

Is this thing useful? the clutch pedal sure was hard to push without that
manly spring in there...

TIA.

-doug