[bmw] Stinky car

Ron,

My '92 325i ran through similar problems.   This was a while ago, but
what I found then was leaking fittings in the fuel lines--and the dealer
evidently knew this was an issue, and I've heard it elsewhere too.

When I called the dealer, the service tech asked if it was when the car
was cold that I noticed it.  It was.  But, I'll also say that a tech
there had told me that the danger of the car exploding from dripping gas
(which, btw, never made it to the floor--just hit hot engine and
evaporated) was practically non-existent.

I've also noticed it later, but mostly only when filling up, and there I
think it was either the charcoal canister, as has been mentioned to you,
or from the few drops left in the filling hole--when they pull the
nozzle out, some might stay in there.

On the canister, I'm 'religious' about telling the gas station attendent
(I'm in NJ and can't pump my own gas...I'm not to be trusted! <grin>)
not to top it off after it clicks.  If they do top it off, the extra gas
liquid, not vapors, will flood the canister and render it useless as
part of the vapor recovery system.  It will undoubtedly tell you not to
do this in your manual, same as mine, for this reason.  I suspect, that
eventually the charcoal will dry out though, and frankly, I never
thought it was worth the $100 or more to replace the canister.

Anyway, I still get the smell rarely, but mostly with fill ups when it's
cold.  If  yours is with a half tank, it might be the canister, it might
be a clamp--hoses get dried out, I guess and don't seal as well when
they're cold.

Long note, but hopefully it'll help.  And yes, don't light
up...especially while under the car checking for leaks!  Oh, you might
look under the exhaust manifold, where the fuel line turns into a metal
tube for slight drips--found mine there when I had that problem.

Someday, maybe BMW will recall the early E36's for this...right! <grin>

Cordially,

Doug

--
Douglas M. Max, Managing Director
LR Communication Systems, Inc.  http://www.LRcom.com

mailto:DMax@domain.elided   (908) 464-1231   fax (908) 464-1350
139 Dogwood Lane * Berkeley Heights, NJ * 07922 * USA

Business writing and speaking skills training--on-site and online