[bmw] tail ight assembly went out (e36 M3)

Hello all
This morning was our first below freezing temperatures. I started up my car and the "tail light assy out" message came up up on my OBC with that I turned on my lights and noticed that the instrument panel illumination lights went out as well. I made sure to check the brightness knob for the instrument panel but the lights were not on at all. Does anyone know what caused this problem and what i can check to fix it? Could it be a fuse?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Paul 95///M3