Re: [bmw] Replacing a battery on 99 E46 323

I wanted to follow up on my previus post.

While searching on severla pictures for a description on how the replace
the battery, I got the notion that it was located under the back seat,
which is not true. The battery on E46 model is in the trunk, on the right
side, under the plastic compartment. I think maybe the M serioes has it
under the seat. Anyway, BMW wanted $189 for a BMW battery (part only) plus
approximate $80 labor. From my searching on the net, I discovered that
Interstate Bateries makes a compatible batery that fits to the specs and
size to a BMW one. I got an MTP-91 from a local Firestone shop for $89.
The only difference between stock BMW batery and Interstate MTP 91 is that
the BMW has an exaust pipe that releases certain nitrogen gases. The
Interstate Batery does not relase any gases so there is no need for an
exaus pipe. The whole replacement took not more than 5-10 min and I let
Fireston do it since they only asked $5 for the labor. This is something
that you could easily do youself, altough I liked the idea that Firestone
plugs in a batery charger up front on your car, so by the removal of the
battery nothing gets erased in the radio settings. I was concerned that I
will need my radio code if I replaced the battery, but apparently in E46
you don't need a radio code anymore, even if you take out the batery. Hope
this helps.

Thanks to several of you that send me some links and helfup info

Aleks

1999 E46 323