Re: [bmw] New 95 525iT T-Boned By Illegal from Mexico

Bjorn,

Did you have decent insurance coverage? If so, I'd think very seriously about repairing this one.

I've rebuilt a lot of Bimmers, and while we actually *like* to do front impact rebuilds, and will do rear impact unibody work if we have to, we *rarely* will buy side impact hits, except to keep 'em as parts cars, unless it's strictly cosmetic or localized to the doors. As soon as it involves roof line, pillar or side frame bends, we're likely to pass. Mostly this is because side impact hits seem to have much more far reaching effects than anything else, which you can't always see. It is extremely difficult to make a side impact hit 'like new' without dissembling the car all the way down to the frame.

This is compared to a front impact, where you can easily dissemble nearly the entire front clip, straighten it, and usually see quite easily how to repair and fortify the rails, apron or whatever is damaged.

Conversely, bear in mind that a $5000 insurance claim for most Ins. companies has exactly the same impact on your future insurance rates as a $20,000 'total' claim. And if you do a good job of presenting your paperwork on current value of the car - I've always given the adjuster a copy of _retail_ value from kbb.com, edmunds.com and/or nadaguides.com, PLUS a statement from the local dealer as to replacement cost - and don't let them push you into accepting their first offer, you should get a very good settlement. Then you can take that cash out and with some aggressive shopping find a good deal on a better vehicle.

As always, YMMV, but that's what I'd do (and have done).

Drew