Re: [bmw] Winter Driving

Pretty much what I was going to say, I'll just add .02 more...
Adding sandbags to trunk - more necessary for American rear drive cars and 2wd pickups, all with verrrry front biased weight distribution.  With near 50-50, not as important to add weight to rear with BMW's.  I don't add any weight to the rear here in Minnesota - but I do run winter tires and leave the ASC+T on.

- Mark

Subject: Re: [bmw] Winter Driving

>Is this pretty common for rear-wheel drive cars?

[Sandbags in the trunk]  Sure, it's a time honored practice.  It is rare to
see nowadays, since rear wheel drive cars aren't the majority.

>How effective is it?

It helps the back tires bite slightly more effectively, thus giving you
slightly more acceleration and preventing the back end from coming around
in turns.  In my opinion, modern traction controls are significantly more
useful.

There is little disadvantage.  You have slightly worse gas mileage since
you're dragging around a couple of hundred of pounds of extra weight and
the loss of trunk space.

>And finally, if I were to drive from Nebraska back to Texas during the
>winter, would I need to relocate the weight in the trunk for the more
>temperate roads?

No.  Doesn't exactly make the car as sporty lugging around a couple of
extra pounds like that, but it doesn't hurt anything.

- - Matt