Re: [bmw] E36 wheels questions

"Robins, Scott" <Scott.Robins@domain.elided> wrote:

> I've got a 97 328i with Sport package which needs new tires.  I'm
> getting a new car and this one is becoming my wife's.  Currently
> it has 16" wheels.  I'm thinking of getting new 15" rims & tires
> because my wife is not nearly as agressive a driver as I am.
> Also, she won't appreciate spending $600+/year for tires.
>
> I looked at tirerack.com and they don't have an option for 15"
> wheels, except for snows, for this car. However, the base 328i
> does, so I'm thinking this is just a oversight on the part of
> tirerack.
>
> Will 15" wheels fit on this car?

Usually, the only thing driving minimum wheel diameter is brake
size, but if you can put a 15" snow tire package on the car,
then there should be no reason that you are limited to snow
tires in that size.  The wheels should be the same either way,
as long as you can get the tires you want in the correct size.

The only other caveat is that the selection of good performance
tires is quickly disappearing in 15" sizes, but you don't seem
to care about that.  You should be able to find a decent selection
of mid-grade all-season or touring tires in 15".

> Will they need spacers, or anything like that?

They shouldn't, as long as you get wheels with the correct offset.

> Is putting on new wheels just like changing tires, or is there
> something else that needs to be done (ie, can I do it myself,
> or should I take them to a local tire shop?)

If you buy a complete wheel/tire package from Tire Rack, they
will be delivered to you mounted, balanced and ready to bolt on
to the car.  Simply remove the existing wheel/tire assemblies
and bolt up the new ones.  Only a jack, lug wrench and common
sense (safety...) is required.  A torque wrench helps to get the
lugs tightened properly.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner