[bmw] Re: key needed

Brad wrote:

>I have only one key for my convertible and need to get another. Any
suggestions as to the best dealer to get this at? I am not sure how I get a
new key as this is a transponder type key (I think) and would need to be
coded.
_______________

You have to order it from a BMW dealer.  It will almost certainly require
proof of ownership, such as a copy of your registration with your VIN.  Keys
are cut to your car, via the VIN.  After you get it, the transponder needs
to be programmed to match your security system.  Or, to be more correct,
your system needs to be coded to match your car.  You can do this yourself.

The following worked to program my new spare key for the E39 -- get in the
car and close the door.  Insert key in ignition, turn it on, turn it off,
take the key out.  Hold the key up, so the sensor can detect it, and push
and hold the LOCK button on the key.  WHILE HOLDING IT DOWN, simultaneously
press the UNLOCK button THREE (3) times.  The doors should lock and unlock.
Voila.  NOTE:  you need to do this with ALL YOUR KEYS at this time (so do
the key you already have too).  NOTE, though, I used this technique to
reprogram a new key I ordered for my 740iL at the same time, and so I may
have it backword - you may need to hold the unlock button down and press the
lock button three times; but it DOES WORK.  Both my E-39 keys will
lock/unlock the car.

vty,

--Dennis