Re: [bmw] Just got into and accident NEED ADVICE!!

Manuel,

Call his insurance company and file a claim stating the facts of the case. If you have an attorney that you deal with on a regular basis give them a phone call and find out what your rights are in your state. Call your insurance company as well especially if you have full coverage insurance. Regardless of fault your insurance company will repair your car and then just sue the other insurance company for the cost. Its probably one of the more easy ways to deal with the problem as your own insurance company will try and treat you well and does not care about the expenses of the other insurance company.

Your description is kinda vague. I would sit down and write an accurate as possible description of the events as they happened while they are fresh in your mind. As well try and find out if there is any traffic cameras at that intersection and subpeona the footage when you go to court.

Did anyone get a ticket? Tickets if not fought are usually a good way of determining fault regardless if fault actually existed. If he was ticketed and just pays his ticket its essentially an admission of guilt to the insurance company. If he was ticketed or if you were show up in court for the hearing. Try and find out his hearing date and show up as well as a witness against him.

Good luck with your car. This is one of those situations that I hate thinking about as I self insure my own cars for Comprehensive and Collision. When a car gets to a certain dollar Value (Under 10K) it makes more sense to self insure if you can deal with the fact that one day you may take a total loss with no recourse. Several years ago I lost a Honda Prelude and had no recourse. I was selling it and my brother was taking the car to a tire place for new tires for a seller that was interested in buying. A dump truck lost a shovel and the vehicle in front of him panicked and slammed on his brakes in the middle of an interstate. My brother proceded to drive the Honda Prelude up the backside of this F250 pickup truck. A nice and painful $7000 loss. To make matters worse the driver of the truck who caused the problem tried making a claim on my insurance. Fortunatly my insurance company rejected it because I was not driving the vehicle and did not admit fault and was not ticketed. The truck owner was unable to find out who my brother was insured by.

Robert Chase

Mr wrote:

Greetings all.
I could really use some advice from you guys on what
to do here. Here's the situation,
I was making a left turn at an intersection. Light
turned red. I saw the traffic coming the oposite
direction slow down so I begin my turn. The car in
the lane (2 lanes)closest to the street decides to try
to run the red light and hits me in the passenger's
front corner of my car (95 325i). His car is a 77
Chevy. WHAT CAN I DO?? He claims he didn't run the
red light and that the light was still yellow. It
wasn't. I have no witnesses he dad his g/f in the car
w/him. I didn't get a police report taken because a
sherriff (not in his area) that did stop said a police
report wouldn't really help anyone out. He said a
report would only take down what we say and not really
determine who was at fault.
I could really use some direction here guys and would
really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Manuel Paredes
93 325i (Out of service)
L.A. BMWCCA