[bmw] re:Speedometer Removal 87 325ic

Nick asks
>Need to remove my speedometer.  The odometer has stopped, the speedometer
>goes off and on and the maintenance lamps are out.  I assume the batteries
>on the speedometer board are kaput.

drop the panel above the drivers feet (3 or 4 screws)
reach up behind and find the two knurled knobs which hold the front trim
panel in place (one on either side of the steering wheel area), undo them
and the front rectangular trim panel pops off.. revealing a few screws
undo those and the trim piece around the instrument cluster comes away
revealing a few screws holding the cluster in place

remove those and wiggle and twist the cluster towards you.. you can leave
the steering wheel in place, but it's easier if you get it off and out of
the way

all the connectors in the rear are colour coded for easy plug-and-play
replacement

note that the service interval board batteries affect the tach/mpg gauge/si
lights but not usually the speedo and odo.. that is likely related to a
flaky connection in the rear diff

Chris Pawlowicz
Stebro Stainless Performance Exhaust
http://cpcperformance.com