[bmw] Code readers

Go to obd-2.com.  I have used their software for a number of years.

This software will not only read and reset codes but offers full datalogging
capabilities of any OBD II data.  You are able to download the software and
some sample data from the site to try it out.

I believe the cost of the software is somewhat less than $200.  It also will
work with any OBD II car - it is not BMW specific.

Scott Hemauer
'97 540i 6 spd
'95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
'90 Eagle Talon TSI

>>>From: Matthew Zahorik <matt@domain.elided>
Subject: [bmw] Code readers

All:

   I need to read the codes from my E39. (ABS in particular)  I was going
to do it at the dealer, but they want to charge a full hour ($83) of labor
for the reading.  I think that's a bit much.

   What products exist to read fault codes?  Is there major functionality
or  are there subsystems that are missing in the low-end code readers?
(ie.  Do they just read the engine and skip the transmission and other
systems?)

   I don't need something to reset oil and inspection lights.  That's
easily done with a momentary short between pins trick.

   Alternatively, if anyone knows a place in the Albany, NY area that's
willing to read codes for a more reasonable fee, say around $20, I'd be
glad to go there.

   Software is an option, but the only package I've seen (CarSoft BMW) is
pricey - I doubt I'll find it used in the sub-$200 range.

   Thanks!

- - Matt