somewhat related to [bmw] 330xi vs A4

Wondering what the experience has been with tires on the xi in winter. We now have a 2003 325 xi wagon and the tires are W/S. The tread is not very aggressive, of course, and I change to snows (with some weight in the trunk) for my '98 528i which works well in St. Paul, Minnesoata. Do many people find it necessary to have snows with the 4wd for primarily around town driving?

Len Schloff

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:31:25 -0600
From: "Tristan Wardell" <twardell@domain.elided>
Subject: re [bmw] 330xi vs A4

I had a 2001 330xi for about 2 years in the Colorado winters.  I also
looked at the A4 compared to the 330xi.  The primary difference (to me)
is the front wheel drive bias to the rear wheel drive bias.  You can
tell a little while driving around town, but the big differences are on
the track and in the snow.  In the snow, you can get the 330 to spin
around (if you turn off the traction control), where I couldn't in the
A4.  On the track, the bias really pays off, having all wheel drive
accelerating around a tight corner really is blast!

T.