[bmw] 1996 328is heater fan speed problems

After being BMW-less for almost a year, I just bought a 1996
328is.  Car is silver on grey with 99K.  All checked out
well on the car except the fan speed control for the
heating/ventilation system.  When selecting the first four
speeds (pair of bars on the display) the fan speed
increases.  After that point there is no change.  It has
gone to max fan speed after about 15 minutes of driving.
Also when selecting high just after starting the car the fan
will go to high for about 2 seconds and then go back to a
medium fan speed.

Reviewing the electrical schematic for the car in the
Bentley manual shows (page ELE-133) a "Final Stage Unit"
getting a signal from the front panel.\

So the question of the day is...  Is it the Automatic
Climate Control Unit - front panel bad or is it the "Final
Stage Unit?"  How deep will I have to go into my pocket book
for this fix.  Texas is hot and full airflow is a must.
Micro filter has been changed.

Any experiences, suggestion and/or comments would be
appreciated.

Georg Taht
m.five@domain.elided
96 328is 5-speed