[bmw] E34 535i oil pressure

  My 92 535i does this too.The most likely culprit is the oil filter cannister,
itself. There's a check valve in the base of the cannister,and its made of a
hard plastic,which losses it's sealing properties,over time.After the car sets
for a few hours,the oil drains from the cannister.When started,the cannister
has to fill before the oil pressure builds to normal.(and extinguishes the light)
  As a very temporary 'fix',I pull the crank sensor plug,and crank the engine
to allow the cannister to fill,before actually starting the car.The proper
solution is to replace the cannister.The BMW replacement has an improved
design for the check valve in the cannister base.

  There's an article on this condition at one of the E34 sites.

Dennis
92 535i (168K)