[bmw] FW: buying a '95 525iT

----------
From: Jon Fayth <jfayth@domain.elided>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 22:10:40 -0700
To: <bmw-digest@domain.elided>
Subject: buying a '95 525iT

I've had experience with 3, 5 series wagons, a '93 525 (174k), a '95 525
(110k), and a '95 530 (49k). 2 of them had radiator failures, where the
plastic tank is joined to the core and at the plastic hose fitting for the
upper hose. Either the joint fails or the plastic itself degrades and gets
brittle. The first failure cost me a new head gasket, the second I caught in
time, so just a new radiator (get OEM online- the dealer is tooo expensive-
twice the price). Also check out the functioning of the wires that run thru
the rear hatch hinge area- they bend and break over time from hatch use.
     By the way, My '95 525 automatic is plenty fast, especially in S(port)
mode, when it uses 3 of the 4 speeds and holds the shift points longer. It's
as fast or faster than the 530 v-8.
Jon Fayth
1995 525 iT
2001 Miata SE