[bmw] Check engine light

That's what I have tried:

# Sit in the driver's seat.

# Turn the ignition to the On position, but do not start the engine up.

# Immediately depress the accelerator fully and release fully 5 times quickly.

# Wait for a few seconds and you will see the Check Engine light flash once, then start it will start to blink. All codes are comprised of 4 digits. The number of blinks corresponds to the fault code. For example, ON then pause, ON ON then pause, ON ON ON ON then pause, ON ON ON then off would be a 1243.

# Each four digit code will be flashed sequentially. When the codes start to repeat, all stored codes have been displayed.

# Turn the ignition off and check the codes with the table below. 1444 and 2444 means no problem and that is what you hope to find! Good luck!

But looks like this procedure does not work for 540i 1997.

Before I spent $150 for BMW Peake Research Fault Code Reset Tool,

Any experiense in BMW community how to deal with 540i 1997 OBD2?

Thank you all,

Fred

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:11:10 -0500 alex.fadeev@domain.elided wrote:

"Fred Kleytman" <fk51014@domain.elided> wrote:

> Any reason for Check engine light to go on.

> Engine starts and runs fine. Oil and other liquids are fine.

> Any way to reset it?

Fred,

The CE light is a communication device between the car's computer (DME)

and you/your wrench. You can read, interpret and reset the lights with any

one of the numerous code readers out on the market. www.peakeresearch.com

is one of them.

Most local CCA chapters (you are a member, right?) either have one of

those tools to loan out or have one of the members or local shops who are

willing to help you decipher those codes.

HTH,

alex f

Sign up for Internet Service under $10 dollars a month, at http://isp.BlueLight.com