Re: repainting the badge

In a message dated 8/23/2003 5:33:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:26:40 -0500
> From: "ken merrill" <vincent52@domain.elided>
> Subject: repainting the badge
>
> I just bought my first BMW, a '92 535. The BMW badge on the point of the
> hood is worn and scruffy. Can I repaint it? Can I replace it? And what's
> a good source for touch-up paint to fix  the rock chips, etc., on the
> hood and nose? The car's in pretty good condition and I'd like to make it
> look a little better.Thanks. --- ken merrill--- vincent52@domain.elided---
> EarthLink: The #1 provider of the Real Internet.

Ken:

Welcome!  Best bet is to replace the Roundel emblem.  It's about $10-$15 at
the dealer, or any of the typical BMW accessory places.

It's held in by 2 rubber grommets.  Pull it straight out (up) and just press
the new one in.

The Boston Chapter of the BMW CCA has a spring cleanup event every year, and
one of the things they showed us last spring was how to do it.  The owner of
the body shop used masking tape to protect the hood around the badge, and he
built up about 6 pieces at the bottom edge of the roundel.  He used a small
screwdriver to pry up the bottom edge, then lifted the old badge out.  I think you
could probably also use a piece of thread or dental floss doubled or tripled,
get it behind the badge, and use that to lift it out.

=> Mitch
'02 M5
'01 VW GTI GLX
Assistant Editor of BMW CCA Boston Chapter's magazine "Boston Bimmer"