E30 sending unit/fuel gauge

fuel gauge on 91 325i displays full constantly. I removed sending unit,
tested with ohm meter. It indicated proper 3.5 ohm reading at empty, and resistance
increases as float rises, but max reading at upper float limit is around 58
ohms. Bentley doesn't say, but old Haynes manual says full tank ohm reading
should be around 78 ohms. Would this difference in full tank reading confirm a
bad sender? Seems to me that if resistance readings on lower float positions
seem to be indicating sender function, fuel gauge indication wouldn't be staying
on full. Any guidance on this? Any tips on troubleshooting fuel gauge. Thanks.
Tom
BMW CCA #6710