Speedometer/ABS dead

I got in the car today, and the ABS light was lit. I started driving and the speedometer and odometer no longer move. This is an '99 528i (E39)

I checked all fuses, and they all seem fine.

Checked TIS, and it's not too clear. It mentions that ABS sensors manufactured before 3/99 may crack and fail, but it doesn't mention anything about how that relates to the speedometer/odometer.

What sensor(s) are used to detect speed? If more than one, which ones must fail for the speedometer/odometer and ABS to fail to operate? Could it just be the speed signal to the cluster?

Car otherwise operates fine. With a speedometer these cars are difficult to drive without exceeding the speed limit. Without a speedometer it is much, much more difficult... (:

Thanks!

- Matt