528e - Won't start, won't run

I'm hoping someone can offer some diagnostic insights
pertaining to my son's 1986 528e.  A couple nights ago,
at a stop light, the engine shuddered and quit a few
moments later.  He had it towed to a nearby friend's
house, and the next morning we (a) replaced the fuel
filter, (b) cleaned up all six oil-fouled plugs, and
(c) duct-taped a cracked vacuum hose we discovered,
but to no avail.  When it would start, after much
cranking, the exhaust was quite dark, and it would
run only with much throttle feathering.  The fuel pump
appears to be working (I can feel a vibration when I touch
it as the car is cranking).  After a minute, it stalled
and wouldn't even "catch".  The car was towed to a nearby
garage (but about an hour away from home, yuck), where it
presently sits.  If these symptoms sound familiar to anyone,
I'd appreciate hearing about some possibile causes.

Thanks in advance.
Stas Lotyczewski