'90 535i wierd noise

Hi - I have a screeching noise coming from the rear of the car (I'd say from around the differential area). Happens when the car is stopped, with the clutch in or out or the transmission in neutral. Happens at idle. Above about 1.5-2k rpms or when the car is moving, it goes away. I don't have any idea what this could be, as it's connected to engine RPM. Fuel pump? Any ideas would be very much appreciated. OBTW, it's definitely metal on metal.

Cheers,
Bob