e36 strut replacement

after several days of bumpy driving, i went to my mechanic and found out
the left front
strut needs to be replaced on my 3i8i convertible. he quoted me $195 ea.
(suggested
that i replace both of them, of course), $40 for wheel  alignment, and $300
for labor.
ouch.

i asked for the part number to see if i could find it cheaper and have him
do the
installation. he agreed to do so, but said there would be a surcharge
because the
shop makes money off the parts. i didn't find that unreasonable, and he's a
good guy, i
don't mind paying -- when i have money. but being a poor law student i have
two
questions:

1. what are the hazards of only replacing one side? Bentley's says always
replace
struts and springs in pairs, is it to risky to  do it one at a time.

2. for the most part the car drive's fine, but whenever i hit a bumpy area
in Nebraska's
pothole ridden streets there's significant bounce and rattle. is the car
unsafe to drive,
for say 30 days, until i get afford to repair both sides?

3. how difficult is it for me to replace the strut assembly myself? i have
my Bentley and
Haynes manuals and a decent set of tools -- will i need anything special,
besides a
spring compressor?