re: tire question: Kumho Ecsta

re: tire question: Kumho Ecsta:

I'll second that recommendation for the Kumho's.
On the //M3, I have 25k miles on the set so far. Rears have a few thousand miles left, the fronts should be good for 10-15k miles more than that. That's about the same as I got with the original Michelins. Kumhos are great rain tires too, but were a bit squirmy in the dry until they had a few thousand miles. Then they give as much traction as anyone would sanely need on the street. A set of Continentals lasted less than 20k miles on the rear and the handling wasn't up to par. I tried BFG's briefly but their inner treadblocks wore down way too quickly.
I have philosophical concerns about supporting the economy of Kumho's country of origin, but if you want arguably the best value on the market, give a set of them a try. I bought my set from a local Tire America store. They had both sizes in stock, were willing to match Tire Rack's advertised price, and they give lifetime rebalancing. I brought them back in for rebalancing at half tread depth, and had them rotate the tires around on the rims switching outside and inside for longer tread life. So you get what was the inside tire edge on one side of the car now the outside tire edge on the other side of the car.

Also, _IMO that the 225/45x17 front size is pointless. A 235/40x17 fits the same rim and performs better, for ~the same cost. The 235/40 size gives better steering response and makes the front of the car ~7-8mm lower, too. If you keep at least 38psi in them then you won't have any worries about bent rims. I run 41psi/front and 37psi/rear.
Ymmv,

'jk