Re: 1988 325ix...air conditioning

"Harry Hargrave" <d7nn7s@domain.elided> wrote:
> I have a 1988 325ix,and the A/C has died.I'd like to convert to R134a,
> but the A/C shop said the OEM compressor is not compatible and is
> worn out.

Dennis,
Your shop is right, all E30 iX's had compressors that are non-compatible
with R134a: http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/ac.htm

> If I were to replace the compressor with a used one, what year/model
> would bolt on, with little or no modifications?

You could look at the Koala's web site for that info, but I would shop for
a new compressor instead. It may cost a few extra C-notes, but with all
the labor cost of performing a R134a retrofit, you would not want to
chance it on an unknown used compressor.
Plus, new compressors are more efficient and will be putting less straing
on an already heavy breathing M20 engine.

> Generally speaking, what are my options, in this case?

Sell the car as is.
Put a ton of money into it and keep it.
Is that general enough? ;-)

> I realise that a new dryer, fittings and 'O' rings must be installed.

Also a very good time to replace the expansion valve (if it is original) -
that's about 3 hours of labor.
Check for any leaks once you put it all together. 15 year old hoses are
just that.

alex f