From: owner-bmw@domain.elided [mailto:owner-bmw@domain.elided] On Behalf Of ray
dsilva
Sent: July 17, 2003 6:51 AM
To: bmw@domain.elided
Subject: HESITATING/POPPING 1988 535I

hi all,
i am at my wits end with this hesitating/stumbling/backfire (popping) at low
RPM (1200+) or on initial acceleration.
Always seems to run well  when i startup in the morning, but after running
for a while (and especially with extended idiling) this phenomenon of
hesitating..choke..backfire pop..push tha accelerator all the way down and
still nothing..just jerky lurches with a lot of popping!!...and then off we
go!! but come to a stop and idle and it happens all over again.
I have changed ICV,fuel filter, fuel pressure gauge and because it seemed to
be a temp related problem, i changed the coolant temp sensor. No dice.
My idle is always steady at about 650..rough but steady..changed all the vac
hoses..plugs etc..but thats another problem..
just wish I can get to the bottom of the hesitating..
Thanks all
ray

---