From: "Dave Castine" <davecastine@domain.elided>
To: <bmw-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 1:01 PM
Subject: E39 - violent shaking on acceleration/braking

> OK - I getting to the hairy items on my 'to do' list for my car. Sunroof
leak fixed, AC prob diagnosed as a hose, seat/tilt wheel (w/help from Mr.
Cash) fixed - now this shaking. When ever I accelerate pretty aggressively
and I get near 55 mph my steering wheel starts shimmying - pretty badly. It
gets down right scary when I come down from highway speeds 65-75 and hit the
brakes normally for an exit ramp - almost rips the wheel from my hands and
shakes like it was a 72 Duster with bad ball joints!!  The brakes are 5k old
and this shaking was there (albeit not as bad) before I did the brake job
(all OEM parts). Any ideas? Bad strut? Bushing? The car has 58k miles -
thanks in advance...