Re: bmw-digest V10 #11

Could any of you give me a few suggestions/answers regarding my 97' M3/4? The
car has 58k on the clock.

With the unmatched rim sizes should I still rotate my tires side to side?
Probably shouldn't. The tires may be directional, and thus by swapping side-to-side they's be running "backwards".

If you're concerned about rotating tires, you can either get a new set of 4 wheels that are all the same size, or do what I and others have done: buy 2 8.5" wheel of the style you already have and mount them on the front.

Yes, with a stock suspension, 8.5" wheels and 245/40/17 tires will fit in the front with no spacers.

Where would I start to look for a putt putt air leak sound drivers side? It
doesn't sound like it's coming from the center of the exhaust, closer to the
motor. I hope it is not a header leak.
Hmm, not really sure. Intake is on the driver's side, exhaust headers are on passenger side, if that helps.

Lastly, I am starting to develop a belt chirp/accessory chirp on start up.
Replace the belts? There's two, the A/C belt and the main serpentine belt. I wouldn't think the tensioners would be bad at only 58K, but <shrug>?

I HIGHLY recommend locating a good independent BMW mechanic in your area. Generally less expensive than the dealer (unless you're under warranty). There is a lot of stuff you can do yourself, but it's always good o have a good mechanic available for the difficult stuff (or the difficult-to-diagnose :-)).

Hope that helps,
Jim Bassett
1998 M3/4 - after 128K+ miles, I've pretty much BTDT :-)
1993 325is #44 JP/A5