Re: Tech in Omaha

In Omaha if you don't use Markel BMW  the choices are very limited. I've
lived in Omaha for 2 years and Markel does good work, but they take
advantage of their only-dealer-in-Omaha status and appointments are
necessary and can't usually be scheduled the week you call. And of course
Markel is a bit pricey.

The only bad experience I had with them was when the final drive went out on
my 94 e36. They would only order the OEM part for something like $2200 plus
$600 for labor. When I offered to supply the part, they wouldn't install it
because the couldn't provide me with a warranty. I asked them to just
warranty the labor but it never happened.

Markel is at 702 N. 102nd St. 402-255-3425. Scott Pease is the guy I work
with; he's really helpful and responsive to questions and has problems
diagnosed quickly, I got the feeling the Markel system ties his hands
sometimes.

Phil at European Motors (8704 Maple Street, 402-397-0655) helped me get my
car running, and it took four days. And instead of making me front the cash
for the used part I wanted to use, Phil ordered the part for me, installed
it, and the whole job was completed for $1,700 less than the Markel quote.
The car runs beautifully, and was repaired in 3 days -- one of those days
was spent waiting for the final drive to arrive.

European Motors specializes in Saab service/repair, but I've taken my car to
Phil since the final drive fiasco and always received quick, quality,
service at reasonable prices.