Fw: Telltale Light - "Check Engine" Stays On

Here's my question. The "Check Engine" light stays on my E30, 1987 325i with
128k miles. This happened over the weekend after changing the timing belt and
washing down the engine (the engine did run awhile before the lamp came on).
The car runs great with no problem. The manual states "If the Check Engine"
telltale lights up or flashes the engine can still be driven but the emission
related electronic should be inspected. What does this mean?

The oxygen sensor was replaced 8/01 with 123k. Any ideas??

Thanx Again

Ken Hillers
BMWCCA #2270