[alfa] Transmission drive flange nuts, and market flops

Robert Watson asked about the procedure to lock "The nut connecting the
drive flange to the shaft at the rear of the transmission on a 69
spider", and Jeff Greenfield described 'staking' the nut with
center-punch, backing up a coat of red loctite, but adds "I believe that
some of the earlier cars, although the shaft has the recess, did not use
the later style flange nut. I seem to recall having seen some cars with
two thin nuts here instead but can't recall for sure."

FWIW, the books show a single nut and a tabwasher ('rondella di
sicurezza') for the earlier cars, and no tabwasher for the 2000. The
tabwasher carried a 102 part number (102.00.13.406.01) through the early
1750 parts books, thus dates to the original development of the
split-case design. The later (1974) Catalogo Rapido gives a 105 part
number (105.48.13.306.00), suggesting that the washer was redesigned
during the production run of the 1750 Berlina.

Peter Webb entered the Alfetta V6 conversion discussion with a remark
that the Alfa 6 was "the second largest flop in Alfa history (Arna being
#1)". While I would not want to slather the Arna with high praise, it
wasn't too bad a flop on the market, with greater sales in three years
than the Giulietta Spider, Spider Veloce, Sprint, Sprint Veloce, Sprint
Speciale and Sprint Zagato racked up cumulatively in seven. Of course
that is leaving out the Giulietta sedans - The Alfa 6 also wasn't an
outstanding disaster among Alfa's forays into the larger-car market,
outselling the prior 2600 Berlina seven to one, and the 102 ironblock
Berlina about five to one. It also substantially outsold the 90 V6
(12,269 to 6,912) and the 75 (Milano) V6 (12,269 to 9,526) but both of
those cars benefited from having viable four cylinder versions for the
popular world market, which supports Peter's points about the best
Alfetta upgrade possibilities. (With which I agree.)

Cheers

John H.