[alfa] Re: [Alfa Racing]: Row over steering techniques

This came from a thread on the Alfa Racing list, but I'm copying to the
Alfa Digest, as well, since it seems to have originated there. The
situation here in North Carolina is similar to the one Bill described in
Georgia (USA).  I taught my son how to shuffle steer, but his instructor
in the state-mandated driver education course insisted that he use the
old hand-over-hand technique I was taught when I started driving.  The
instructor said that failure to use the hand-over-hand method was grounds
for failing the exam.  My son, clever boy, simply shrugged and learned
the hand-over-hand method, so now he can steer both ways.   My son's
North Carolina driving instructor did not have an explanation for why
hand-over-hand steering is required.  It is not mentioned in the state
driver's license study book, so I suspect it is not legally required, but
simply something the license examiners look for because they have always
looked for it.  Time has moved on, however. Vince Loftus gave a great
description of the technique and rationale of shuffle steering as used
the the London Metropolitan Police.  The point about air bags is a good
one that was confirmed by no less an authority than NPR's Car Talk radio
show.  Interestingly enough, a caller who had taught his daughter to
steer with the hand-over-hand method complained that her state driving
instructor had made her use what he thought was an odd technique
of pulling and pushing the wheel--shuffle steering.  The daughter then
came on the phone and explained that she was taught to shuffle
steer because it keeps the arms out of the way of the air bag.  Tom and
Ray agreed. I use basically the same shuffle-steering technique Vince
describes in my 71 GTV race car and all the cars and trucks I drive on
the street.  As a driving instructor for the Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club
and the local BMW Club chapter, I have taught many people to
shuffle-steer.  The point Vince makes about initiating the turn with a
pull is very important. However, I find it's often necessary to deviate
from the standard 9 and 3 o'clock (or 10 and 2 o'clock)  hand position
because of the design of the car.  In most Italian cars, including 105
Alfas, I find it works best to position the hands around 4 and 8 o'clock
on the wheel.  It really doesn't matter that much what the static hand
position is, as long as it's consistent. Dana Loomis