Re: [alfa] Looking for a gear reduction starter

Stefano,

Your car should have a 130 tooth flywheel in it, unless you changes it out to a 131 tooth.  1974 came stock with 130 teeth.  They changes to 181 teeth in 1975 and then back in 1991.  If you do have an 130 tooth flywheel in it (as you should), you will want to get a gear reduction starter for a Series 4 Spider (1991-1994).  The one for the mid to late 80's will NOT fit correctly, will bind, and will reuin your ring gear.

The Series 4 starters go for about $300 new, and that's at a discount.  I should know as I just bought and installed one for my 1973 Spider.  I have a used spare in mint condition that I could offer you.

If you do indeed have the 131 tooth flywheel installed, you can get a good rebuilt starter for cheap from:

http://autoexpress.safeshopper.com

They have the years listed as though it covers all, but the starter they have really is only for the models through 1990.

--
Jason Hagen
Chicago, IL