[alfa] Why the concern about coolant?

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is everybody concerned ablout coolant out
of the head holes? Arent theses open to just the water bath around the
cylinders?  Or am I missing something?

A second question.  What is the volume at the rear of the block that is
covered by the halfmoon shaped plate with 7 or 9 bolts in it?  It looks like
it is oiled, but a quick look didn't obviously see where that oil came from.
Just curious.

Steve
Denver, CO
74 GTV with a spare engine that I'm readying for a swap.