[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1191

> Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 03:09:21 -0800
> From: Jon Pike <jhpike@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1175
>
> Let me know how suitable WB is for a tuning/driving meter.
>
> Jon

The above is a completely different question than the one I answered.  What Clay
was asking for was what to do with his new exhaust system using a standard
computer to run the car and make emissions.  For that, I suggested using a
heated NB sensor, since that is what the computer uses...  Since one is not
tuning, and the computer can only read a basic O2 sensor, there is no real
benefit to a WB for this.  And one can even make an argument that a WB might
not even be as good considering where the computer even uses the O2 sensor (the
synthetic switch from a WB is not as accurate as the real switch in a NB- our
research and control system bears that out).

On the other hand, if you are tuning, WB is the only way to go.  It is all I use
here at work.  And the units I have range from $2500-$5000 depending on who
made them.  Of course, for any use beyond making perfect emission, one does not
need that kind of tools.

If you buy any of the real WB systems, they would speed up the time to calibrate
your SPICA system like you can not imagine.  And you will also find out how
consistent the SPCIA pump really is- as I found out a few years ago...

I would say go for it- I've got one that I bought from Austrailia, and it works
well.

Eric Storhok
A2