[alfa] RE: alfa-digest V9 #1171

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:45:25 -0500
Dean

The Veglia gauge requires a DIFFERENT sender than the Jaeger gauge.  After
an extensive search I was NOT able to find one new.  Centerline sent me the
incorrect one twice--they did not know the difference between the two types
of sending units. I finally got a used one from a friend who had several
senders that looked alike--I tested them per the below instructions and one
finally worked.

Richard Lane told me senders are available from
http://www.alfaholics.com/alfa/engine.htm but I don't know from personal
experience that these are the right ones.

See the attached correspondence I had from Les Hurlock last year--he was
absolutely right on all counts.
==
Timothy Leigh Rodgers wrote:

Oil gauge system quick-tests.GAUGE, VEGLIA. [ignition ON] Remove

wire from Sender. ----- Gauge should read MAX.Short wire to ground

---- Gauge should read ZERO.GAUGE, JAEGER.[ignition ON]Do the

same as above but gauge readings be the reverse.OPEN = ZERO. --- SHORT

= MAX.

Obviously the sender and gauge have to be of the same manufacturer. A

quick test of sender [on car or bench] using any cheap VOM. VEGLIA,

approx. 10 Ohm

JAEGER, approx. 220 Ohm.. I'll put more detail in the Files when I can,

showing resistance reading under MAX -- MIN conditions.

To remove the sender, use a THIN SECTION 14 mm open-ended wrench. Now

the really hard part. --- Correctly re-connecting the Sender wire

[you'll know what I mean when you try, at least for Weber cars!

Les Hurlock