[alfa] no one owns ideas

At the heart of patent and copyright laws is the concept that no one can own an idea, only the implementation of the idea. We all benefit by sharing information. Implementation of the information is what we charge for: ie our time and effort.

The history of the human race shows we all benefit collectively when we share our knowledge. All scientific research, most university life, and in truth successful businessmen in service industries tend to share information without charge. We professionals are paid for the manner in which we assist people to find and use the information effectively. Keeping the information itself secret in the hope someone will buy it from you is short sighted and not in your interests over the long term.

Rant over

Michael

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L