RE: [alfa] the AD information pact (long'sh) was Starter running on...

Peter -

Chill out dude ...

Yes, I am a "professional" and do this for something that attempts to pass
for a living. I'm here (on the list that is) because I want to be, I choose
which questions to answer based on how much time I have that day, whether I
can provide useful information, and when you get right down to it, whether
or not I feel like it.

It's my choice ... I can choose to not answer Biba's or anyone else's
questions.

I've been doing this for 20 + years, so for the most part have more than a
fair amount of knowledge when it comes to alfas as well many other makes of
cars.

When I first started out, forums such as the digest and others did not exist
and I can't tell you how many hours I wasted trying to figure out some of
the simplest and stupid things. If I was starting out now, I'd be the one
asking many of these questions.

Personally, I don't feel that there is anything wrong with a "professional"
asking questions. It can save time, and in the end will save the customer
money since whomever is doing the work is not guessing at possible
solutions.

I've asked questions here too, although I've probably answered a lot more
than I have asked, but yes even I get stumped sometimes and need help.

Two of the most important things I've learned regarding fixing cars over the
past 20 years are:

1) ALWAYS CHECK THE SIMPLE THINGS FIRST - 9 times out of 10 it is something
simple

and

2) Information is invaluable, the more accessible this information is the
better it is for everybody.

Keeping the older cars (the alfas in our case, here) going is not rocket
science and for the most part things can be figured out with a little bit of
knowledge and some common sense.

Suffice it to say, some of the other makes of cars that I work on are far
more complex and information is very difficult to obtain, those present a
real challenge and makes forums such as these that much more important.

Sorry for the long ramble ... I now return you to your regularly scheduled
programming with such topics as when will Alfa return to the US, Webers vs
Spica, and the ongoing debate of mechanical vs hydraulic timing belt
tensioners ...

Jeff