[alfa] 164 Speedo Gear Saga with Happy Ending

"So was the gear all plastic, or does it have a metal core,
and thus leaving it in the box was not an option?  What's the diameter of
this gear?  Ford spec speedo driven gears are about 3/4" and are attached
the cable end via a unique snap-ring.

The gear was all plastic.  Looks like Delrin or similar engineering grade
polymer - ie it is hard.  I can imagine that bits of it broken off and
floating loose in a gearbox could do some serious damage.  The total length
is about 100mm, the shaft is about 10mm and the total OD of the geared part
is about 15mm.  I'm still amazed that I managed to fish it out through the
hole in the diff casing that is only about 20mm in diameter.

The Ford gear sounds like the speedo gear in my old Mazda 626 (many common
Ford parts in Mazdas now anyway).  The speedo gear here was on the end of
the speedo cable, and the whole assembly held in to the gearbox with a 10mm
bolt.  The gear also doubled as the dipstick, and the mounting hole was
also the filler hole.

Cheers,
John
they are addressed.

If you have received this email in error, you are prohibited from
reading, copying, distributing and using the information. Please
contact the sender immediately by return email and destroy
the original message.

You should scan this message and any attachments for viruses.
Under no circumstances do we accept liability for any loss or
damage which may result from your receipt of this message or
any attachments.