[alfa] Spider Hood Woes

All
A couple of days and digests ago, my friend, Phil Edwards posted a request for help because the cable to his '78 Spider hood no longer activated the latching mechanism upfront. I did not see a response from the masses, and can not find any notes about this. I know we have visited this thread at least a few times in the past. Can somebody tell me how to get the latch released. Then he'll install the "emergency" secondary cable into the fender well as has been suggested in the past.
TIA

Gordy Hyde
nwalfaclub.com
on the edge of (rainy) Seattle