[alfa] 73 to 89 Steering box interchange?

In a message dated 2/20/2004 9:45:51 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:13:07 -0500
From: Kevin Trent <trentkc@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] 73 to 89 Steering box interchange?

Will a steering column from a '89 spider fit a '73 spider?  I believe the
ignition key is in a different place, and requires a different switch and
column shroud.  What about the steering wheel mounting surface - is that
different?  Is this a feasible swap?

//kct, Powell, TN
------------------------

    Both steering boxes bolt to the frame and attach to the tie rods the
same.  If the length of the steering columns are the same, there should be no
problem.
    I am pretty sure the steering wheels themselves are different.  I think
the 73 has a keyway and the 89 has splines.  I could be wrong.  I know my 84
still has a key way.  The change may have happened when the fake wood steering
wheels went away in about 1986, so an 84 column will allow you to retain a wood
look steering wheel.
    The aluminum cover that holds the ignition switch slides off the
steerning column.  You should be able to use either system.  The 89 will have a
steering wheel lock on the ignition switch.  I do not think the 73 does have or it
is a different style.
    I have a 74 steering box in my parts "inventory."  I think there is still
a bent 84 in my iron pile if I can measure anything for you.  I have an 86
box too, but it is still in the tub, but it does have a late, non wood steering
wheel.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City