[alfa] 164 Gearbox Emergency - HELP!!!

I've really done it this time.

Removed speedo sender this afternoon for replacement (due to bouncy speedo
readings).  I couldn't get the lock nut undone, so I removed the whole
assembly by undoing the allen-head bolt on the side of the diff housing.

The sender slid out easily, but when I did this, the small driven gear fell
out and has sunk into the diff housing.

I drained the gearbox oil, and have spend several fruitless hours tryng to
rescue the gear by shining a light down the hole and fishing with a piece of
wire and a magnetic pickup.  No luck whatsoever.  The gear is plastic with a
metal axle, so there just isn't enough metal for the pickup to hold it.

As I see it, I have two options:

1.  Take the car to mechanic for gearbox R&R to retrieve the gear.
2.  Get a new driven gear and reassemble - just let the old gear see out its
days in the depths of the diff housing.

I have inspected the gear in the diff housing, it doesn't seen to foul
anything, however this might be different with the box full of oil.  Should
I risk driving the car?

Any advice welcome (although I don't need any reinforcement of feeling like
the village idiot).

Thanks Digesti!
John Wiltshire
Sydney Australia