[alfa] Need Help on re-installation of Tropic Air A/C System

Dear Alfisti,

Last fall I removed the dash from my '85 GTV 6, opened up the front of the heater box, lowered the Tropic Air auxillary fan and box and removed the air lines from the Tropic Air System to the left and right round dash vents.  Now, I don't remember how to put back the Tropic Air System and the left side of the air hoses.  There is no manual that covers this area of the car.

I have an '85 GTV 6 with a Tropic Air System.  That means the car is air conditioned.  As part of the system, there is an auxillary air conditioner with fan underneath the glove box that provides additional air conditioning in addition to the air conditioning that rolls through the heater fan mechanism.  This auxillary system has 2 hoses of which one goes directly up to the round vent on the right side of the dash.  The other hose is next to the heater box and somehow sends air to the round vent on the left side of the dash.  With the dash removed, there is a plate over the external air intake in the body of the car beneath the windshield located immediately behind each of these round vents.  In a non-air conditioned car, these plates do not exist so that outside air can come up the fenders into the round vents and provide outside air into the car; if you do not want the outside air, you turn the round vents to a closed position.

My difficulties are these:

1.  I have no idea anymore how the auxillary mechanism is bolted or attached underneath the glovebox.

2.  I do not know where the disguising facia goes over the auxillary mechanism, how it connects to the car or whether the disguising facia goes above or beneath the auxillary mechanism.

3.  The air hose that feeds the left round dash vent first has a flexible line that attaches to a plastic flat type conduit of which a continuing flexible line goes from the conduit to the left round dash vent.  The conduit has an aluminum plate on top of it in order for the conduit to be affixed to the car.  I do not know where the conduit is attached or where the left side flexible hose travels from the conduit to the left round dash vent.

I desire to be able to call someone that is familiar with the above described system.  If such knowledgable person could email me with his telephone number and availability, then I would call him and make arrangements as to a second call when I am inside the car with the parts in front of me.

Obviously, if an Alfisti can describe the installation in the Digest, that is acceptable because all other persons with the same system would have the same problem.

Otto F. Schug        schugof@domain.elided
Columbus, IN
My son and I have 12 Alfas in various stages of existance.